Dec. 2, 2020 – With holiday season in full swing, don’t forget that school choice season is just around the corner.
Beginning Jan. 1, parents will have the opportunity to apply for their children’s school of choice. This includes Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten with Duval County Public Schools.
Like last school year, applications for VPK will be online through a lottery system.
Below are five things you need to know about the VPK lottery process for the 2021-22 school year.
- Applications for the VPK lottery are online – Like the district’s process for Magnet and Special Transfer Option schools, all applications for the VPK lottery will be online. To apply online, you will need a Parent/Guardian account to access FOCUS so that you can submit your application. If you do not already have an account, click here to create one.
- Applications open Jan. 1, 2021 – Applications will be available in FOCUS through your Parent/Guardian account beginning Jan. 1.
- The application deadline is Feb. 28, 2021 – Parents will need to apply online no later than 11:59 p.m. on February 28, 2021 to be considered for admission in the fall.
- Notifications will be sent out in Spring – Parents will receive electronic notification of the results of the application from the School Choice Department. If accepted into one of their choices, the parent will be asked to decline the seat if the selection is no longer desired. If not accepted into one of their choices, the parent will be waitlisted. Waitlisted students may be contacted for admission into one of the requested schools by waitlist order if any openings occur during the summer.
- After acceptance, parents have until May 31 to visit the school to register – Parents will need to visit the school and provide copies of the following: Certificate of Eligibility from the Early Learning Coalition; Proof of Age (Birth Certificate); Proof of Residency; State of Florida Health Exam form; Florida Certificate of Immunization, and a signed fee schedule for Non-Title 1 sites. *Parents who do not complete the enrollment process and/or lack required documents by May 31 will lose their seats.
As an additional resource, the district’s Parent Academy is hosting a class Thursday, Dec. 3 at 6 p.m. about registering for the VPK lottery. Please click here to register in advance as seats for this course are limited.