Dec. 13, 2022 – Applications for VPK, magnet, and special transfer option schools open Jan. 1, ushering in the annual season where parents can identify and apply for the right educational option for their child for the upcoming school year.
To assist families, Duval County Public Schools is hosting a special “School Showcase Saturday” event on Jan. 7, 2023. All district schools will be open that day from 9 AM – 2 PM for families to stop by and take a tour, talk with school leaders and educators, and learn more about the school.
While the event – and the opening of applications – are still a few weeks away, there are plenty of steps parents can take to get ready. See below.
- Understand the process – We recommend families watch the “School Choice Countdown to the Lottery” video to learn more about the process for applying to magnet schools, special transfer option schools, and VPK programs. (Note: the video will require entering name and email before playing.) Families with questions can also email [email protected] or make an appointment to speak with a school choice specialist.
- Start researching now – Visit www.duvalschools.org/schoolshowcase to start preparing for School Showcase Saturday as well as exploring different schools and educational options for your child. You can search based on a specific program or theme such as dual language, visual arts, or career and technical education.
- Know the application window – The application window opens Jan. 1 and closes Feb. 28.
- Remember that applications are online – When applications open on Jan. 1, they will be located online in Focus. Parents will log into Focus and look under forms where they will see an application for magnet schools, special transfer option schools, and VPK.
- Make sure you have a linked Parent Account – This is essential because the VPK, magnet, and special transfer option applications are only available if the parent/guardian has a parent account that is linked to their student. Visit www.duvalschools.org/parentaccount for a step-by-step guide to creating a parent account and linking it to the student.
Note – Applying for a VPK, magnet, or special transfer option school is not a mandatory process. This primarily provides an opportunity for families who want to explore schools and educational options that are outside the school that their child is zoned for based on their child’s residence.