Dec. 22, 2022 – School Showcase Saturday is right around the corner, and we want to make sure families are ready!
Below are five things to help families prepare for both School Showcase Saturday (Jan. 7), and the opening of applications (Jan.1).
- Enrollment hotline will be available: Have questions about enrollment? Enrollment specialists are here to help. The enrollment hotline will be open Jan. 3 – Jan. 27, from 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday. There will be special hours on Saturday, Jan. 7, from 9 AM – 2 PM. The number is 904-348-7777.
- JTA ridership free for families – Thanks to JTA’s partnership with the district, families participating in School Showcase Saturday can ride JTA buses to schools free on Jan. 7. Each passenger will need to present a special boarding pass when they board the bus. The pass – which can be printed or downloaded on the phone – is available on the School Showcase Saturday webpage.
- Know the tour schedule – Tours will be available at all participating district schools at the following times: 9 AM, 10:30 AM, 12 PM, and 1:30 PM. There is no need to pre-register.
- Be prepared to ask these questions – Right now, there may be a dozen schools that you feel could be great for your child, but as you learn more, you will begin to narrow your list. For example, is there after school care provided? As you take your tour and talk with school leaders, make sure you ask about the following:
- Enrollment requirements
- Before/after school care
- Transportation options
- Electives and special programs
- Clubs and sports
- Uniform requirements
- Research schools using “School Showcase 2023” – Before the event, families are encouraged to go on a “fact finding” mission about the schools that interest them. A good tool for doing this is the “School Showcase 2023” portal where school info is gathered all in one place. Just visit the site and select “Exhibitor’s List” to view all participating schools. Families can even create a “My Show Planner” account to help them navigate the site, much like a shopping cart.
- School Showcase Saturday is on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023, from 9 AM – 2 PM. During this time, all district schools will be open for families to drop by and take a school tour, talk with school leaders, and learn more about the school.
- The event is designed to help families make the right educational decisions for their child when applying to a VPK, magnet, or special transfer option school for the upcoming year.
- Jan. 1, 2023 is the date when these applications become available in Focus. The deadline to apply is Feb. 28.
- Remember, parents need to have a linked Parent Account to access Focus and participate in this process. Visit www.duvalschools.org/parentaccount to learn how to create an account.
- This process is not mandatory. It primarily provides an opportunity for families who want to explore schools outside their child’s neighborhood school.
For more information, visit www.duvalschools.org/schoolshowcase.